Friday, August 18, 2006

Thriftiness: Curse or Blessing? You Decide.

Thrifty: adj 1: careful and diligent in the use of resources 2: mindful of the future in spending money; "careful with money"

I, along with many of you who read this blog, come from a Dutch heritage. There is a stereotype of Dutch people being cheap, or "thrifty" as my husband likes to say. For most of the Dutch people I know, this stereotype is true and it is true for me in many cases.

For my birthday I received some gift cards for clothing. All of them totaled a fairly significant amount so I was pretty excited about going shopping. I went yesterday and my "thriftiness" kicked in. I was not going to worry about the prices of the items because I wanted to get some quality clothing that looked nice on me. But, as I started trying things on and saw the sale prices, I was excited about how much more I could get if I bought the cheap stuff. So, I spent about $120 and ended up with 3 tank tops, 2 t-shirts, 1 nice sleeveless button down, 1 sleeveless knit sweater thing, 1 long tunic-like top, 1 light weight knit hoodie, and 2 pairs of shoes. Not bad for $120, right? I don't think so either, but ask me in a few months after it has all fallen apart in the washing machine.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

11 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Jen said...

That's a tough one. I do the same thing. Why spend $100 on one good well-fitting outfit when I can get oodles of tank tops at Old Navy for $2.99 a piece! But the few nice pieces I do have, I love. And wear to death.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger i am not said...

WHAT ABOUT PANTS? Why didn't you buy any jeans or capris?

I thought that was A LOT of stuff for $120 - you didn't?

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger one hot momma said...

there's just something wrong with me...oh yeah, I didn't grow up dutch! Mommy Brain loves to take me shopping because I'm not at all thrifty and don't tend to look at the price tags until I get home...this my friends has gotten me into lots of trouble over the years...there's something to be said for you dutchies!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Carol said...

I'm with Jen...I like getting the bargains, but there's something to purchasing a good brand that will last, too - But I only do that once in awhile and with a style that itsn't too trendy.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Mommy Brain said...

I do the same thing Kim. Because I can't buy anything that is not on sale, drives hot mamma crazy, I shop the sales racks at expensive stores. I feel really great when I can get an expensive item on sale...then I've killed two birds with one stone. And I've tried to go back to the crap brands and they don't look or hold up as well.

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I make mommybrain do my shopping. I'm sorta colorblind and would end up wearing pink pants and green shirts or something. When she shops for me most of the time the price tag is gone or blacked out. I wonder why?

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Carol said...

I'm so glad (and jealous!) you got lots of new clothes!

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Lisa @ Heaven Sent said...

Not dutch, but perhaps a bit thrifty. I love me a sale that's for sure. I don't mind spending a little more on staples, but when it comes to trendy clothes, it's Target all the way!!

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is way I hate birthday cards. Someone spends betten one doller to five dollers on the card, to be read and then file 13. what a waste of money. Jest give me the cash. Thanks for the buck Kim!

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Taylor said...

I agree on the birthday card thing, or any card at all. I always buy the way cheap ones that are blank in the inside and then add my own words. I too enjoy a good bargin, but sometimes and only sometimes there are few things that warnt the extra buck - which I will gladly give up for quality clothing. But now that my husband owns his golf shop, I often find my best bargins there!

 
At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

where is the golf shop and does Kim dad knows about it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home