Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Uh Oh

You know those annoying parents who are afraid to discipline their kid or tell them "no" because they don't want to stifle them? The ones whose kid is drawing on the wall with crayon and their response is (with a sing-songy voice), "What a creative little artist you are, Susie! That's very good that you are experimenting with different types of canvas, but how about you try the paper again?" I was NOT raised that way and I do not want to raise my kids that way. If my kid draws on the wall, she will have no doubt about how I feel about that. But, for a moment today, I had a feeling that my husband will lean more towards that parent that drives me nuts.

As we sat in the restaurant eating lunch today, Elise was very loudly yelling baby babble to those on the other side of the room. Jeremy and I both reacted at the same time. My response was to reach over and cover her mouth with my hand. Jeremy's response was, "Honey, I love your spirit, but how about you use your inside voice."

It's going to be a long 18 years.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

8 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL...I, also, get annoyed with those kind of parents. Sadly, I've caught myself doing the same thing from time to time...usually when we're in public, though, and I'm trying not to blow my top! :)

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Carol said...

You almost made me spit my coffee out of my mouth! That was funny! I just can't picture most guys saying that... it's usually the women! I agree with Amanda that I would tend to be more like that in a public situation. Most people, though, probably thought that Elise's little babbling was adorable! (at least for a little bit). I'm sure I would.

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey again...my email is amandakjones@sbcglobal.net
:)

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Mommy Brain said...

Even more annoying than those parents are the parents who act like raising children is always such a great joy...that everything their children do is such fun, their kids never get on their nerves, always sleep through the night and never I mean never fight! Come on! I met one of those mothers this weekend...I said something like, "boy I'm glad we are going home tomorrow...I don't know how much more of this I can take!" She said, "Oh, really?!? I LOVE it here...we are having such fun...I love being with my girls all day!" Whatever...!!!

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger kkoois said...

mommybrain - i think those parents are on crack

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger one hot momma said...

My cousin brought his 5 year old son from California for the family reunion weekend. He, the 5 year old, had his fingernails and toenails painted black, not with marker, but with actual nail polish. I asked my aunt what the deal was and she replied that the boys mother wanted to let him express himself, and stated that if he returned home without the polish on there would be trouble! Why can't she be that tough with her son! I agree with you and good luck with your next 18 years, although things with your husband may change when you have boys!

 
At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know those families. They're the ones who show up every April for an "emergency" ADD eval, because they were just told little precious won't graduate on time because he doesn't do any work and the school is so frustrated they are grasping at straws and send him to me. So I ask, "What's the main problem?" Their response,"He doesn't do his homework, or anything else we ask him to do!!" "Well," I ask"What are the consequences, when he doesn't fulfill his responsibilities?" And this is where I get a blank Indiana stare and the parent actually says"What do you mean?" And this goes on for about an hour me asking what they have ever done to discipline their little darling and them looking like they have just seen the most intersting freckle above my left nostril. So now they've raised little pumpkin, avoided any conflicts over discipline and can joyfully get extra fries anytime they want.

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doc- LMBO!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home