Tuesday, April 10, 2007

One of my pet peeves...

...is when the shower or party invitation received in the mail, has 2 or more people hosting, but no specific name by the RSVP phone number. Especially if I don't know the hosts personally. I don't know who I'm calling to RSVP so I sound stupid if the person answers.

Co-host: "Hello."
Me: "Hi, is this Sue?"
Co-host: "No......"
Me: "Oh. Is this Jane?"
Co-host: "Yes....."
Me: "Oh. Hi, this is Kim Kooistra calling to RSVP for Sally's baby shower. I'm sorry, I didn't know who's number this was on the invitation." conversation continues normally as I unfortunately decline the invitation due to a prior commitment.

I was a little nervous to call because I had no idea which girl the number belonged to. I tried to do a little research before I called to figure it out. I got on whitepages.com and tried to look up the phone number - it was a cell number. Then I looked up the address where the shower is to take place - it belonged to co-host #1. I also looked up the return address on the envelope - co-host #2. All this left me with nothing. So, I just picked up the phone and called hoping to get voicemail. No such luck, someone answered. I felt very awkward until she finally realized who I was and why i was calling. And I wasn't sure who she was so I didn't want to just launch right into the reason for my call in case I was talking to her mother or someone other random person that answered the phone.

So, if you are hosting a party of some kind with someone else, please put the name of the person next to the phone number who is to receive the RSVP phone calls so those of us socially inept people don't have to awkwardly stumble through the beginning of the conversation. Or better yet, just send an evite...

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

6 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally agree! If you're gonna co-host a party, PLEASE make it clear who is getting the RSVP's!!! :)

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Taylor said...

Wow, never had that happen before! I don't think I would have bothered calling - way too much stress in not knowing who will be the one to pick up. I hate talking on the phone, b/c I can't read any body language, so it makes it difficult to analyse how to respond....hmmmmm. I will keep that in mind if I am ever so fortunate to co-host!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger i am not said...

Yeah, I think that you should have skipped the RSVP and waiting until someone called YOU to find out if you were coming... that'll teach them for not doing the invitation correctly!

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call me!!!

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Mommy Brain said...

Congratulations on replying to the RSVP...you are a dinosaur...no one ever does that anymore.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Lisa @ Heaven Sent said...

Haven't these people heard of email? It's a wonderful, wonderful thing! :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home