Monday, March 26, 2007

Seriously?...It's only March

When people find out that I used to live in Chicago and now live in the South they usually ask me if I like it down here. That's a hard question to answer. As in any situation in life, there are pros and cons. Here is one of the biggest cons...

IT'S WAY TOO DANG HOT DOWN HERE!!

I am not a hot weather person and it gets hot and humid here early in the year. In the summers, the temperatures are usually in the 90's and get up to the 100's. This does not make for a pleasant afternoon outside. When I go to the grocery store, I have to take a cooler along to put my ice cream in otherwise it melts too much in the time it takes me to load my items in my car. This is ridiculous in my opinion. In Chicago it seemed that the evenings provided a bit of relief from hot temperatures. Not so in the South. The lows only get down into the 80's at night. This does not make for a pleasant evening of sleeping.

Anyways, it's been in the mid to upper 80's for the past several days and we had to go ahead and turn on the air conditioning. It's only March and we now have our air on and will continue to have it on until October! This is ridiculous in my opinion. Our house is extremely hard to keep cool and keep the cost low. So, we have our thermostat set on 85 degrees. If we set it at 84, it runs all the time and our electric bill will break the bank. So, if you stop by one afternoon in the summer and find me hanging out at home in my bathing suit you will know why. And the bugs! Don't get me started on the bugs down here...but I'll save that for another post. Stay cool!

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

8 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen hallelujah I second that. The HEAT down here is ridiculous.
If you think you like the heat, come visit for the month of August, and then we'll see what you think.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Um. . .we are supposed to want to come visit this week?

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Taylor said...

And the positive??? I am sure as it was with me, nothing compares to home! At least your not in Florida!

By the way we got our zoo membership...after it took 2 hours to get there from des plaines! I think every mom and child from chicagoland was there today!

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our neighbors turned their air conditioning on yesterday. In Michigan. In March. Air conditioning. Ridiculous! (It was only 74 degrees MAX with a VERY NICE BREEZE...guess their windows don't open???) I don't know how you do it down there. I complain about the humidity in the Midwest all summer long. Can't imagine it for spring and half of fall too...yuck!
Stay cool!!!

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Lisa @ Heaven Sent said...

I can see how that would get a bit annoying, especially the bugs. The best part of Chicago is you never know what you're gonna get -- today it was almost 80 today, and I loved it! But I'm sure it will be snowing by Friday.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Hey Amanda~we turned our air on. Tim's got killer hay fever and has a bird if I open a window. With the sun on Sunday it was 79 in my house. I would love to open the windows but he's a sneezy mess. . .

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger mintjuniper said...

Okay, you forgot to mention the black widow spiders, and the mosquitoes that hang out in the grass just waiting to prey on our innocent children! San Diego here you come?! Wink Wink!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger msbauer said...

eww on all accounts. i will never live in the south! vive la north!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home